UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint an Associate Director for Student Leadership reporting to the Associate Dean of Students and Director of Student Life.
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) is a central part of NYU’s global network, marked by a uniquely international student population; a rigorous, liberal arts and science academic program; and a location at the crossroads of the Arab world. We are a highly diverse community that shapes and examines issues of common humanity through multicultural perspectives, and are committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity regardless of identity for all faculty, staff and students.
NYUAD’s Division of Campus Life brings together multiple functional areas within student affairs to provide students with the structure, resources, and support to maximize their educational experience and reach their full potential. The Division of Campus Life plays a crucial role in shaping the out-of-classroom experience for a highly diverse (100+ nationalities) residential population of 1400+ undergraduate students.
We are seeking an Associate Director of Student Leadership to build and develop a comprehensive, inclusive leadership program for undergraduate students across disciplines. This role will provide leadership to a five-person team, serve as a resource for students & student groups, and collaborate with university stakeholders to enhance leadership competencies across the NYUAD community.
The Associate Director for Student Leadership works closely with colleagues in Campus Life to develop a leadership program that prepares students to embrace challenges as opportunities to become active change-makers in their careers and communities. This position works closely with Campus Life colleagues and faculty to develop a framework for student leadership beginning with first-year orientation and then oversees the implementation of innovative programming that supports this model.
The Associate Director is responsible for:
- Conducting research to understand the needs of the NYUAD campus and opportunities for leadership development
- Developing and delivering a leadership development model, in close consultation with other student affairs stakeholders, that can be implemented across Campus Life that prepares NYUAD graduates to be successful, ethical, global leaders
- Working with NYUAD colleagues to align existing co-curricular programming so that it more effectively supports student leadership development; building relationships and collaborations with other areas of the university to ensure a coordinated approach for leadership opportunities
- Developing learning outcomes for programs and initiatives; determining goals and strategies; and implementing both quantitative and qualitative assessment for program enhancement
- Developing and implementing reflective self-assessment processes to allow for students to integrate their experiences into their education, and understand the implications of these experiences for their own learning & development
- Working with NYUAD administrators to align existing co-curricular programming and develop new offerings to complement their work. Work with relevant faculty to support the development of curricular offerings on leadership
- Identifying leadership recognition opportunities that align with a Campus Life leadership development model; serve in a leadership capacity with hallmarks events such as the NYU President Service Awards and the Campus Life Leadership Awards
- Develop and implement a leadership development model for NYUAD students across disciplines. Conduct research to understand the opportunities and needs for leadership programming aimed at undergraduates and, potentially, graduate students at NYUAD. In collaboration with Campus Life colleagues and faculty, create alignment for existing leadership programming while also designing and delivering new programming. Work with counterparts at other NYU global campuses on collaborative leadership initiatives and planning. Continually assess the needs of our diverse group of students
- Supervise a team of four professional staff. Develop a strategy for integrating leadership principles and practice into all areas of Campus Life but especially student activities, First Year Experience, Student Interest Groups, Student Government, Residential Education, and leadership award funding. Build a cohesive team through team-building and staff professional development
- Convene and cultivate a community of practice among NYUAD administrators who provide leadership related programming. Facilitate knowledge sharing among them. Support the alignment of existing and new undergraduate leadership programs with the goals and principles of NYUAD leadership and in collaboration with NYUNY and NYU Shanghai. Provide technical assistance and/or training as needed to support the enhancement of undergraduate leadership programming. Maintain strong relationships with related units, particularly in Campus Life, and including Student Government
- Cultivate relationships with faculty who teach undergraduate courses. Provide information on effective leadership models in higher education and among students to inform the development of new courses, programs, and curricula. Explore the development of additional curricular offerings on leadership
- Manage leadership events aimed at the undergraduate audience, including securing speakers, designing agendas and related logistics
- Contribute to strategic planning and regular goal setting for Campus Life. Evaluate and report on progress and outcomes of student leadership programming. Contribute to Campus Life budget development and manage budgets related to student leadership programming, including related sponsored programs accounts
- Establish relationships with counterparts at external entities, including local and regional universities, to deliver collaborative programs and support student and SIG participation