UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Professional & Graduate School Advisor reporting to the Director of Global Awards.
The Professional & Graduate School Advisor will work with a team to provide pre-professional and career advising and research and application support to students interested in graduate level study including but not limited to health professions (medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and optometry), engineering, technology, math, and the sciences. The Advisor provides guidance on employment, internships, research, personal statements, and interviewing skills and helps with the development of student applications for graduate and professional schools.
The Professional & Graduate School Advisor will serve as a member of the Career Development Center’s graduate school advising team and will lead all aspects of the Medical School Committee Process including reviewing student records and providing feedback on personal statements, mock interviewing students, and drafting committee letters. In addition, the Advisor will have the following responsibilities:
- Promoting NYU Abu Dhabi students to competitive graduate/professional programs worldwide; marketing programs to student body
- Sourcing local, regional and global clinical, internship, and research opportunities for students to engage in, including conducting outreach to employers in conjunction with the Career Development Center’s Employer Relations team;
- Providing assistance with finding fellowships, scholarships and/or grants for students before applying to graduate and/or professional schools; and,
- Assisting in the development and management of various pre-professional workshops
- Co-leading the administration, review, and implementation of the Career Development Center’s funding process for standardized test preparation courses and resources for students
The Advisor will also interact with professional organizations including NAAHP, NEAAHP, AAMC, PLANC, and NACE.
Health Professions Advising and Leadership
- Reviews all student records and prepares Committee letters to support student applications; generates templates for Committee letters based on archived student information.
- Identify competitive graduate and professional school programs; serve as a liaison to them, particularly those in the allied health areas and engineering; arrange for professional and graduate school representation on campus events. Co-organizer for annual Graduate School Weekend. Assist Employer Relations team with outreach to local, national, and global health and STEM-related employers
Advising and Programming
- Advise students on pre-professional school requirements, admissions strategies (course selection, personal statements, and interviewing skills), career trends and opportunities, and guide them in selecting a professional program or alternative, where appropriate. Participates in general CDC walk-in hours.
Standardized Test Preparation Grant Process
- Co-leads all aspects of grant process for students preparing for standardized tests, including administration, advising, and implementation
Develop and Attend Programming
- Develop and facilitate appropriate programming, often in conjunction with student groups such as Women Empowered in STEM (weSTEM) and the Pre-Health Advisory Board (PHAB). Attend all CDC banner events