UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Director Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management. The Director is accountable to the NYUNY Associate Vice President Internal Audit, Enterprise Risk Management and Financial Compliance Officer and to the NYUAD Chief Administrative and Business Officer (CABO).
The Director Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management should be an experienced risk and assurance leader who has the appropriate business knowledge to advise stakeholders on internal controls and associated risks. The Director uses interpersonal skills and collaborative leadership to influence decision making at a senior level, while raising risk awareness across the NYUAD community.
The Director is responsible for leading and facilitating the enterprise risk management (ERM) program and building the internal audit function that includes oversight of the outsourced internal audit function. The Director will collaborate with stakeholders to assess risk mitigation and ensure timely response to audit remediation.
The Director manages the outsourced internal audit services delivered by the third-party internal auditor service provider. The Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of an appropriate governance model and procedures that are aligned with the IIA Standards and the NYUNY Office of Internal Audit and ERM. Once implemented, the Director will be responsible for maintaining a Quality Assurance Improvement Program that monitors the effectiveness of the Internal Audit function. As the internal audit function matures, the Director will oversee investigations, design and implement continuous monitoring and special projects
The Director ensures NYUAD’s risk framework aligns with the University (NYU NY) and provides the strategic planning, governance and day-to-day coordination necessary to facilitate the risk identification, assessment, risk ownership, mitigation and monitoring of NYUAD’s enterprise risks which includes strategic, operational, financial and compliance risks. As a member of NYUAD’s senior management team, the Director will provide advice on risks and internal control issues to the Vice Chancellor, Provost, Chief Administrative Business Officer and other senior leaders.
Enterprise Risk Management (Primary Accountability to the CABO and Vice Chancellor with Accountability to the AVP for Internal Audit, ERM & Financial Compliance Officer (NY))
- Facilitate NYUAD’s enterprise risk management practices including risk assessments, development and assessment of risk mitigation strategies and other projects
- Facilitate operational risk assessment tailored to specific areas including finance, research, human resources, campus life, communications, events, and the arts
- Advise risk owners on developing strategies and emerging risks and extend risk principles within the strategic planning process and within the development and monitoring of strategic initiatives
- Maintain core enterprise risk management tools and measurement methodologies that align with NYUNY
- Aggregate and report risk information and data from various departments to enable effective review, analysis, reporting and sharing of risk data with key stakeholders
- Facilitate the training and community awareness of enterprise risk management.
- Serve as staff to the Risk and Compliance Steering Committee along with the NYUAD Chief Compliance Officer to ensure appropriate support and leadership for administrative coordination and review and advise on risk and compliance matters
- Engage key leaders from areas throughout the University to socialize and deepen the use and knowledge of risk management through key committee participation including the NYUAD Risk and Compliance Steering Committee, the Procurement Committee, the NYUAD Audit Committee, the Insurance Forum, the NYUAD Compliance and Risk Working Group, the Incident Management Team and other NYUAD and NYU committees, as required.
Operational Risk Management (Primary Accountability to the CABO)
- Consult with risk owners in functional areas to identify, assess and mitigate operational risk within those departments
- Advise the CABO and senior leadership regarding operational risk hazards and intentions
- Recommend risk mitigation strategies for insurable and non-insurable risk
- Work closely with Employee Health and Safety and Public Safety to leverage information and technology to better identify and manage operational risks
- Employ technology to identify, mitigate and monitor operational risks
- Coordinate with management to develop risk registers in alignment with the Enterprise Risk Assessment for presentation at the joint governance committees and ensure alignment with Enterprise Risk Management
Internal Audit (Primary Accountability to the AVP Internal Audit, ERM)
- Manage the outsourced internal audit services delivered by the third-party internal auditor service provider. Develop and implement an appropriate governance model and procedures that are aligned with the IIA Standards and the NYUNY Office of Internal Audit and ERM
- Implement and maintain a Quality Assurance Improvement Program that monitors the effectiveness of the Internal Audit function
- Oversee and lead investigations and design and implement continuous monitoring and perform special projects
- Direct the outsourced internal audit provider in the execution internal audit plan for NYUAD
- Facilitate scoping and planning of internal audits, identify and coordinate with internal audit stakeholders to gain alignment regarding audit objectives and approach
- Oversee all internal audit activities and resolve any conflicts or roadblocks to ensure the timely execution of the reviews
- Ensure quality is embedded in internal audit practices and in conformance with the standards promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Review internal audit reports, confirm audit findings are valid and factual and that audit stakeholders are in agreement prior to distribution to stakeholders. Ensure reports are circulated to NYU AD senior leadership as well as to management for development and consensus on the implementation of corrective action plans
- Coordinate the follow-up and reporting of internal audit findings until the control gaps are remediated; ensure management’s remediation activities are effective and report on the status of remediation activities
- Work closely with NYUAD’s government partners on matters related to internal audit and oversight of the jointly-appointed, outsourced internal audit firm
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders across NYUAD community and government partner
- Evaluate management’s response to audit observations and the timeliness, adequacy of remediation
- Consult and provide guidance on system implementations and process improvements projects