UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Director of Fiscal Affairs, reporting to the Executive Director, Finance and Budget.
The Director of Fiscal Affairs is responsible for overseeing the fiscal affairs of the Provost Office and its respective units, including the Post-Award administration of NYUAD’s research funding programs in collaboration with various finance functions.
As the fiscal officer for the Provost Office, this position will include review of the budget of academic divisions, units and programs in the Provost office, be accountable for on-time key deliverables post-award administration for both external and internal research grants, providing expert knowledge on governing cost-principles, reviewing transactions and requests to ensure compliance with applicable university policies and be a key member of the NYUAD Procurement Committee and liaison with Procurement to review, control, and advocate that procurement processes and contracts that relate to teaching and research are serving NYUAD’s academic strategy.
The position has primary responsibility for the budget and financial resource planning for all academic and research functions across the university. Serving as an important thought partner of the Executive Director for Finance CABO and the Senior Vice Provost for strategy, the position is responsible for providing the Provost, Deans, and other academic leaders with strategic recommendations and supporting analytics related to the Provost’s finances and resources as they relate to the academic and research mission of the University. Critical responsibilities include developing the academic and research budget, providing financial planning and analysis expertise for all academic and research programs and representing the provost in budget and funding negotiations in collaboration with the office of Budget and Financial Planning
The Director will exercise delegated fiscal authority over respective research expenditures, ensure the Provost’s aims are achieved through effective administration and oversee the administrative support infrastructure for budgetary operations of all academic units.
The incumbent will actively advise the Provost, Deans, Vice Provosts and other members of the Provost Office’s units on the best use of resources and make suggestions for effective resource allocation following the NYUAD standardized policies and guidelines.
- Oversee the development of the budget for the Provost office and its respective units in coordination with the academic deans and heads of academic units following the University timelines and processes
- Work very closely with the Financial Planning Office involving ad hoc requests and future financial planning
- Provide recommendations and supporting analysis for senior leadership financial decisions regarding academic programs and central resource allocations
- Serve as the fiscal advisor for the Provost
- Administer the budget to promote effective resource allocation
- Have delegated authority in the University’s financial system to approve expenditures up to a limit determined by the Provost
- Provide management reports on budgets, actuals, and available balances
- Recommend strategies to support new initiatives within existing resources
- Oversee transactional support for Procurement and Accounts Payable
- Serve on the University Procurement Committee
- Represent the office of the Provost and the Academic Divisions on the development of business terms for related contracts
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Finance and Budget, provide the necessary report to facilitate budget consolidation and budget review.
- Assist the Planning Team, the Provost, and Deans by facilitating and coordinating the Annual Planning Process (APR) for the office of the Provost and the Academic Divisions
- Lead the development of the budget for the units reporting up to the Provost in collaboration with the Budget Office
- Working closely with the Assistant Provost for Planning, ensure the faculty plans and academic staffing plans are adequately represented in the budget
- Assist the Financial Planning and Analysis team to create meaningful analysis and reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Analyze budget variances and suggest budget modifications when necessary
- Alert the Provost and the Executive Director of Finance and Budget0 to issues surrounding the budget and recommend solutions
- Lead the quarterly forecasting activities by compiling forecasts submitted by academic units, reviewing and reporting back to the Budget Office
- Distribute quarterly and yearly budget and actual reports to the Provost, senior team including the Deans, and to faculty
- Oversee the administration of NYUAD’s $100M+ research portfolio including faculty research programs, start-up funds, center grants, Provostial Research Enhancement Funds, and the Core Technology Platform
- Oversee the Post Award administration to ensure appropriate dissemination and local implementation of research administration policies, procedures and guidelines
- Oversee the development of the annual budget for the various research programs in collaboration with the academic leaders.
- Oversee the financial and budget reporting, ensuring accuracy and compliance
- In partnership with the Executive Director of Finance and Budget, the Director is responsible for the financial reporting activities of all research programs, ensuring accuracy and compliance with funding agencies’ requirements.
- Ensure Post Award Administration collaboration and alignment with and accountability to the University Sponsored Program (SPA) administration office
- Collaborate with NYUAD’s Pre-Award administration team and the Office of Sponsored Research Administration (OSA) to ensure consistency and the quality of faculty support. parallel organizations and units in NYUNY including but not limited to OSA, Gift Administration
- Collaborate with academic leadership ( Provost, Vice Provosts & Deans) and faculty representatives to develop research administration and expenditure policies which enable flexibility and productivity while ensuring necessary control
- Working with academic leadership and the Senior Vice Provost for Research, develop and offer courses on grant management essentials and NYUAD specific rules including concepts like cost principles, allowability, research ethics, budget management, etc.
- Develop and implement best practice business processes and ensure the academic programs office implements efficient and effective business processes. Facilitate communication and service delivery with the controller's office, the procurement office and the budget office
- Work with the ISG to ensure faculty have the best possible tools (reports, dashboards, etc.) to help them manage research funds
- Collaborate with faculty representatives to jointly develop solutions for complex problems affecting faculty and researchers
- Working in partnership with the Vice Provost for Research Policies and Governance, participate in the development of research-related policies
- Participate in the development and reviews of University financial-related policies that affect academic programs, research and faculty
- Manage and supervise a team of engaged staff and be able to develop functional and effectiveness skills in relation with team members across NYUAD, NYUNY and various departments. Develop and support equity and inclusion through the effective recruitment, selection and hiring of employees. establishment of clear performance expectations, provision of appropriate feedback, recognition, and rewards and provision of having opportunities to strengthen performance and promote advancement
- Establish office policies, procedures and workplace standards
- Authorize work schedules and vacations
- Determine short and long-term work priorities, and guide staff in assessing the urgency of issues and requests