UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Director, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Analysis reporting to the Executive Director, Finance and Budget.
The Director, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Analysis will be responsible for preparing NYUAD’s annual budget and financial plan, providing budget and financial analysis to NYUAD’s leaders and managers and ensuring budgetary compliance with policies and related governing documents.
The Director, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Analysis will provide technical support to NYUAD’s Schools and Departments in the management and understanding of their respective budgets. This position is expected to develop, plan, and implement the supporting budget policy and process infrastructure necessary to support the teaching, learning, and research mission of the faculty, staff and students at NYUAD.
Operating within the Finance team, the role will be responsible for running a reliable and responsive Financial Planning and Analysis function that provides the Executive Director of Finance and budget , CABO, Leadership value-add financial support and analysis which facilitates effective decision making. The role holder will be responsible for the provision of timely, accurate, relevant management information to all levels of management and regularly reviewing this information.
The role requires internal and external liaison University Wide at all level at, but most notably at Director/Dean and Head of Programme/Department level, as well as close working with (But not limited to) the Controller’s Office, Head of Supply chain, Research administration, the Financial Planning & Analysis team and the wider Finance team.
The Director, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of the University overall budget & Financial Planning, as well as creating and maintaining financial models and schedules to assist with the overall budgeting needs of the units. The Role is responsible for assisting Department Heads with accurate forecasting and projecting expenses including reviewing and updating the Delegation of Authority Manual vis-à-vis budget modifications. The Role is also responsible for liaising with relevant stakeholders (including Government Partners) as well as acting as the Risk Champion for the Budgeting Office (including managing the risk register). Responsible for assisting in long term financial planning process and undertake necessary updates to the plan taking into account any material changes within the business and/ or regulations which may affect forecasting.
Budgeting and future Financial Planning:
- Lead the development and monitoring of the long-term strategic and annual plans and play a significant role in effectively working with NYUAD’s Government Partners on key financial and planning matters
- Partner and collaborate with NYUAD’s Government Partners to negotiate and develop the annual budget and meet ongoing reporting requirements
- Partner with NYUAD’s strategy team to define NYUAD’s strategic plans and help turn such plans into realistic and effective financial models
- Collaborate with NYUAD's deans and department heads to lead the development of the annual budget and financial plan for all units. Review and report on financial activity, develop projections and modify spending plans as necessary in conjunction with central finance functions. Responsible for financial planning and administration for general, capital and salary expenditures, grant funding provided to individual faculty, research centers and the NYUAD Institute Research
- Oversee campus financial resources consistent with NYUAD’s mission, including advising the Vice Chancellor, CABO and Provost on business decisions and their effect on the overall health of NYUAD’s financial assets
- Develop and plan annual and multiple year operating and capital budgets and financial plans
- Provide overall leadership, direction, technical advice, and assistance in budgetary formulation, analysis, review, and control processes
- Lead the University annual budget process, ensuring a workable and locally owned set of plans which are agreed by the Vice Chancellor’s Group and approved by the Planning Committee and Council
- Receive budget estimates from all Departments and critically examine them for correctness, accuracy and completeness including conformance with established procedures, regulations, and organizational objectives.
- Prepare and support the Executive Director in preparing budget materials for campus leadership, finance and budget committees including the Abu Dhabi Government as they deliberate on major budget parameters.
- Review financial data for reasonableness and accuracy and investigate and resolve unusual budget versus actual variances.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of budget models and tools for forecasting used in the development of the budget
- Lead the long term financial planning process and undertake necessary update to the plan taking into account any material changes within the business and/ or regulations which may affect forecasting
- Lead in establishing guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Director Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis
Budget Consolidation and Reporting:
- Coordinate with all Departments and conduct challenge sessions prior to consolidating and collating the annual budget. Suggest suitable amendments where required.
- Lead the production of periodic re-forecasts, ensuring risks and opportunities are highlighted
- Coordinate with all Department Heads in order to obtain inputs and budget parameters for Hyperion Planning
- Proactively monitor non-personnel costs against the budget and notify relevant Department Heads regarding any discrepancies. Coordinate and advise on budget modifications, transfers and reallocation
- Provide information and analysis to support budget holders’ budget planning and administration activities.
- Review, monitor and prepare quarterly reports on actual and estimated revenues and expenditures
- Act as custodian to manage personnel costs (Faculty, Staff and PS within Research) across the University including monitoring and assisting Department Heads with queries and projections in relation to such expenses
- Liaise with Government Partners and external stakeholders to provide projections and analysis of the University’s budget and future spend in terms of monthly reports and tables
- Partner with Departments to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of allocation methodologies
- Serve as a Risk Champion for the Budgeting Office and coordinate with the Risk and Compliance Department to identify and mitigate risks related to the budgeting process
- Manage the risk register for the Budgeting Office
- Meets with financial officers from institutional departments on budgetary requests or issues; communicates and explains budget policies to ensure adherence to the university College policies and standards
- Build strong and positive relationships with budget holders and senior managers (notably Deans and Directors of Departments), providing the necessary assistance and professional advice to assist them with the financial aspects of their duties
Central Analysis, Projections and Operations:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office, including University-wide updating forecasts based on actuals development of projections and analysis and overseeing the work of the Budget Analysts as they project and monitor all expenses, including personnel and non-personnel costs
- Work closely with the HR Department to finalize and manage the manpower plan, assess and forecast the bonuses and promotions etc
- Provide recommendations and guidance to all Departments, specifically to the Administration and HR Departments in order to project and forecast costs in relation to Travel, Professional and Administration Services. Conduct analysis and projection on a semi-annual basis and provide justification for deviations in forecasting
- Regularly liaise with the Academic, Research and Grants Administration fiscal officers on recommendations and guidance to all projects, centers and research funds, to track, project and forecast costs in relation to Travel, Professional and Administration Services. Conduct analysis and projection on a semi-annual basis and provide justification for deviations in forecasting
- Provide analysis and recommendations Department Heads on chart-field construction for new staff
- Review Delegation of Authority limits for authorized approvers including reviewing and approving budget modifications. Liaise with the Budget Office in NYU for any categories that offset the NYU
- Assist in projecting future financial needs, taking into consideration the various projects undertaken by the University
- Assist in cost benefit analysis including studying financial requests. Undertake research on alternative and reasonable funding methods for the University
- Performs funding and transfer mechanisms including revenue/expense transfers and funding of institutional subsidies. Prepares ad-hoc budget/financial reports as requested
- In addition this position will be the center for Personnel related analysis for admin, faculty and research
- Manage and direct day-to-day operational activities of direct reports to ensure timely delivery of activities
- Provide ongoing career development, support and coaching for direct reports
- Provide feedback to the team, and identify need based training requirements for direct reports