UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint an Associate Director for Student Engagement and Leadership Development reporting to the Dean of Students, NYUAD.
NYUAD’s Division of Student Affairs brings together multiple functional areas within student affairs to provide students with the structure, resources, and support to maximize their educational experience and reach their full potential. The Division of Student Affairs plays a crucial role in shaping the out-of-classroom experience for a highly diverse (100+ nationalities) residential population of 2000+ undergraduate students.
We are seeking an Associate Director of Student Engagement and Leadership Development to foster student engagement and leadership development through a robust platform of student interest groups and other leadership programs throughout the division of Student Affairs. This role will provide leadership to a three-person team, serve as a front-facing and accessible resource for students & student groups, and collaborate with university stakeholders to enhance student engagement across the NYUAD community.
The Associate Director works closely with colleagues in Student Affairs to prepare students to embrace challenges as opportunities to become active and inclusive changemakers in their careers and communities. This position works closely with Student Affairs colleagues to embed student development and leadership throughout the many programmatic platforms within Student Affairs including through the residential and class-year experiences such as first-year orientation (Marhaba) and through the residential experience.
Student Affairs Leader Profile
We look for inclusive leaders that nurture collaboration and pursue diversity in people, thought and perspective. They model candor, transparency, vulnerability, and good judgment. They are willing to receive feedback, accept ambiguity, take risks, acknowledge mistakes, and engage in conflict constructively. We want culture setters and strategic thinkers, who actively seek to align processes and programs with our values and institutional context. We seek those who are able to empower, inspire and motivate others to do and to be their best. Cultural humility undergirds our work, so our leaders need to be able to engage in the process of self-reflection and self-critique to both learn about others and to examine their own beliefs and cultural identities.
- Student Engagement and Leadership Development - Student Activities, Student-Led Conferences, Team-Based Student Travel, and Student Leader Training
- Supervising a team of three professional staff who oversee programming, operations and the budget for student activities, student clubs, student-led conferences, and team-based student travel
- Developing learning outcomes for programs and initiatives; determining goals and strategies; and implementing both quantitative and qualitative assessment for program enhancement
- Developing and implementing reflective self-assessment processes to allow for students to integrate their experiences into their education, and understand the implications of these experiences for their own learning & development
- Developing program assessment for the infrastructure and mission of programs and initiatives
- Working with the Manager to coordinate risk management policies and procedures associated with student activities and leadership activities
- Advising the Student Government Executive Board and overseeing programming led by the Programming Board
- Overseeing hallmark events and coordinating calendaring across Student Affairs
- Providing guidance and support to Student Interest Groups (SIGs) and student-led conferences. Develop comprehensive policies and a grievance process for student groups
- Developing a new system for staff and faculty mentorship to student groups
- Managing budget for a large portfolio of programs and initiatives
- Exploring and activating opportunities for collaboration across the division on SIG capacity building
- Working with Student Life and Student Affairs leadership to generate annual reports, strategic plans, and evaluations related to student activities and leadership
- Overseeing the Advancement Opportunity application and funding process; finding alignment between the global leadership opportunities being funded and leadership initiatives at NYUAD
- Attending and supporting student, SIG and Student Affairs events
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, including consistent evening/weekend work during new student orientation each Fall
- Developing student training and development initiatives to align existing student leaders training opportunities (RA training, FYD facilitator training, SIG leadership training etc.) to more effectively support student leadership development
- Actively collaborate and support the work of the department of Student Life and the division of Student Affairs, through active brainstorming and implementation through participation in divisional teams and proactive outreach
- Contribute to divisional initiatives on inclusion, diversity, belonging and equity (IDBE) through participation in cross-divisional teams focused on conflict transformation and/or identity-based support
- Embed skill building and expertise from across the division into the student experience, including engagement with the UAE, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Belonging initiatives, conflict and intercultural competencies
- Support the student conduct and alternative dispute resolution processes when necessary
- Serve as part of the 24-hour on-call emergency rotation